Sat, 04 Dec|
Collingwood Children's Farm
Make a Blue banded bee apartment block
Learn about Blue banded bees, their nesting habits, and make a Blue Banded Bee Nest!
Time & Location
04 Dec 2021, 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
Collingwood Children's Farm, 18 St Heliers St, Abbotsford VIC 3067, Australia
About the Event
Ticket price includes the whole family.
Please wear suitable clothing, you’re going to get muddy!
This workshop is suitable for children accompanied by their parents or carers. A workshop for all ages and all families.
Blue Banded Bees are solitary bees. This means that each female bee mates and then builds a solitary nest by herself. She builds her nest in a shallow burrow in clay soil or sometimes in mudbricks. Quiet often Blue Banded Bees will build their nest burrows in the same spot, close to one another like an apartment block. Let’s help these lovely bees out by taking the first step in building an apartment block for them.
Participants will make a mudbrick block for the female blue banded bee that will also include:
· Learning all about the Blue Banded Bee Nesting habits, and how they assist with fertilising plants.
· What plants will bring the Blue Banded Bee into your garden.
· Making a Blue Banded Bee Nest, this will include making the mud from dry clay, filling up a rectangle down pipe that is 15cm long to make the nests.
· Advice on how to stack the nests to create an apartment block for the bees.
· Participants will take home the block that they make in this workshop.
Blue banded Bees